DILI, 19 may 2021 (TATOLI)— The Government’s Council of Minister (CM), propose to the President of Republic, Francisco Guterres Lú Olo for the renewal of the level 14th of the state of emergency for another 30 days looking to ramp up restrictions to contain a surge in coronavirus.
The decision comes after the COVID-19 Crisis team has presented certain epidemiological situations within the country during the Council of Minister meeting today.
“The decision established following the evolution of epidemiological and a rapid increase in the number of covid-19 across the country,” The President for the Council of Minister, Fidelis Manuel Leite Magalhães said.
According to Mr. Magalhães, the Government set the decision to neutralize the risk and prevent the spread of the virus for the protection of protecting public health and responds to the National Health System.
“Government propose to the Head of the State that the renewal of the SE, will limit the right of the citizens and some fundamental guarantees,” he said
Since the start of the pandemic, the country has officially registered a total of 4.765 confirmed COVID-19 cases with 10 death have been recorded.
The number of active infections has soared to 2.238, of the number Dili recorded a total of 1.851 cases, Baucau 128, Covalima 101, and Viqueque 75.
Timor-Leste began an anti-COVID-19 inoculation drive on April 7. As of Saturday (01/05/021), about 28.678 out of the country’s 1,338,954 population had been vaccinated against the virus, following the report from the Ministry of Health.
Likewise on may Monday (10/05/021) Timor-Leste Ministry of Health launched the second phase of the AstraZeneca vaccination campaign with the 20 thousand doses coming from Australia, giving priority to the population over 60 and people with comorbidities.
In the second phase of the AstraZeneca Vaccination, the country is targeting to inoculate at least 80% more population out of its 1,338,954 population.
Journalist: Antónia Gusmão
Editor: Julia Chatarina