Image/Timor-Leste's Government Website

DILI, 21 october 2020 (TATOLI)— The President for the Council of Minister, Fidelis Manuel Leite Magalhães said today (21/10/020) that the government would ask the President to extend the country’s COVID-19 state of emergency to the end of November, as the government tries to avoid the surge in cases seen in other countries.

“The government meeting will be followed the situation since it has been announced that the sixth state of emergency will be ended in November 03 at 23:59, but there are more activities coming next week, hence the government is decided to give time to the structure of sovereignty  to set the  schedule for the necessary meeting,” Minister Magalhães said after council meeting.

He added that the extension for the state of emergency is also to face the improvement of the epidemiological situation and proliferation case that is registered the contagious of the covid-19 in the regional and global level to avoid and neutralize the risks of propagation disease.

In addition to helping the state manage the public health risks and give the capacity to the government to responds to the national health system and allow the government to suspend the right for the international circulation with retention of the residence.

Timor Leste recorded, so far, a total of 29 infected cases with SARS-CoV-2, of which 28 have already recovered, and there is currently only one active case.

Worldwide, the number of infected people has already exceeded 35 million, causing the death of more than one million people. More than 26 million people have already recovered from the disease.

Journalist: Antónia Gusmão

Editor:Julia Chatarina/Nick Kettle

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here